Young Woman Goes Blind After Catching An Infection From The Ocean Water On Vacation In Italy (Photos)

Post sponsored by the Montreal Jobs that have the best benefits

 

A British citizen who was vacationing on the beaches of Malta had a serious accident that left her without vision after a wave of water hit her eyes.

A young British student was blinded during her vacation on the Maltese coast, in southern Italy, after being hit by a sea wave while wearing her contact lenses. The accident caused her left eye to quickly become red and irritated.

After returning from vacation, Miyako Aiko-Murray , 20, began to have migraines and constant tearing in her eyes.

After going to the emergency room repeatedly, the student was diagnosed by a specialist with Acanthamoeba keratitis, an infection that damages the front part of the eye.

The problem occurs when bacteria infect the cornea. Such a diagnosis is common among people who wear contact lenses.

“You need corneal transplants and possibly a year of treatment until you receive an eye donor.”

The doctors prescribed special drops, which had to be applied for an hour for a month, causing her not to sleep well at night. This forced her to take a two-week medical leave at work in which she had just been hired.

Later she began to attend her job almost without sleep and at the same time she went to the hospital every Friday. Miyako ended up losing her job due to her condition a little before Christmas.

During March of this year, the young woman woke up one night without vision, which resulted in a secondary bacterial infection caused by corneal scarring. The student now needs a corneal transplants and possibly a year of painful treatments until she receives an eye donor.

Student Goes Blind After Catching An Infection From The Ocean Water On Vacation In Italy

Student Goes Blind After Catching An Infection From The Ocean Water On Vacation In Italy

 

Source: Cronica