This news was brought to you by Anuncios Gratis Nuevo Laredo
The case of this sea turtle is a “sad reminder that we should all do our part” to leave the “oceans free of plastic,” said Gumbo Limbo Nature Center.
A baby sea turtle, which fit in the palm of one hand, died from swallowing 104 pieces of plastic in the state of Florida, United States, reported the association of animal protection Gumbo Limbo Nature Center.
At the time of being found near the coast of Boca Raton the turtle was still alive. However, due to the large amount of plastic in his body he later passed away, Kristin Child, coordinator of the environmental program at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center, told ABC News.
The natural center published in its accounts on social networks the photo in which the dead animal can be seen with the small pieces of plastic , which were inside its intestines and were discovered after the autopsy.
“This is a sad reminder that we should all do our part to keep our oceans free of plastic, ” the organization said.
The World Wide Fund for Nature maintains that 52 percent of the world’s sea turtles have ingested plastic waste since they confuse them with jellyfish, algae or other species that are part of their usual diet.
While in a report published last July, the organization said that a single article of plastic consumed by these animals can break their internal organs, while the bags can cause intestinal obstructions.
Various environmental organizations have warned that 13 million tons of plastic end up in the oceans every year.
Types of plastic such as cellophane, ethyl vinyl acetate, nylon, polyacrylate, polystyrene, polyester, polyethylene and polypropylene are usually found within the bodies of marine animals .
Source: La Republica