Timeline: The Cave Boys of Thailand, From the Disappearance to the Rescue

Day by day, the story of the twelve children and their trainer who were trapped in the Tham Laung-Khun Nam Nang Non cave.

The world looked for days with expectation towards Thailand, worried about the fate of the 12 boys and their trainer who were trapped in the heart of an impressive cave in the north of that Asian country. This Tuesday the tension came to an end with the release of the last minors. The heavy rains that filtered inside the cave ended up flooding it, which is why the children could not leave anymore. To stay safe and away from the water, your only option was to enter the cave.

This is the chronology of his disappearance and rescue:

Saturday, June 23. The boys, members of the Wild Boars soccer team, went on their bicycles to the Tham Luang Nang Non-cave in the mountains of northern Thailand. There, despite the signalling that alerts hikers not to enter during the rainy season that was about to begin, they ignored. Then, the heavy rains began and it was when a local ranger came across the chained bicycles after the park closed its doors. That same night they began to look for them. Sunday, June 24. On the second day, they find handbags and shoes inside the cave. However, the intensity of the rains forced the suspension of the search tasks that afternoon.

Monday, June 25 Rescuers continue with their task despite the difficulties caused by heavy rains. “Handprints were found around the cave wall, but we still can not locate the children,” members of the Royal Thai Navy posted on their Facebook account.

Tuesday, June 26 Resume the search after a few hours when the rains cease. Electric cables and ventilation hoses are located in the cave, according to the Bangkok Post. Vernon Unsworth, a British cave explorer who helped in the search, said: “As far as I know, the divers have entered the main part of the cave, but the conditions are very difficult”, given that “the water increases all the time ” He also added: “If the children have gone too far, the flood from the other end will begin to enter.” And he added: “The problem is 3 kilometres in, where there is a large pool of water that is increasing more and more. ”

Wednesday, June 27 Thai Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda said: “We will try to find other ways apart from the underwater rescue because time is running out.” Rescuers tried to access the caves from high places. Nearly 50 pumps worked in the caves, but the water levels grew without stopping. That day a military team of the US Pacific Command arrived, expert speleologists and British divers, to help in the operation.

Thursday, June 28. The torrential rain forced the rescuers to stop for a few hours. Drones are used, including some with thermal cameras and, in turn, heavy-duty pumps are used to stop flooding.

Friday, June 29 Six Chinese experts arrived at the site of the cave to join the search and rescue tasks, that country’s embassy in Thailand reported.

Saturday, June 30. It got more help because Australia also deployed a team of six experts Response Group Specialists of its National Police. This body, which normally performs search and rescue operations on land, also has experience in diving in flooded caves.

Sunday, July 1. They continued with the rescue tasks. Members of the Thai army, together with experts from at least six countries worked to reach a large and deep chamber, informally known as Pattaya Beach, where he had taken refuge thought missing children.

Monday, July 2. The rescue teams find the 12 children alive and their coach in the cave. This was announced by the governor of Chiang Rai, Narongsak Osottanakorn. Despite the joy of the discovery, from that day began the arduous task of bringing them to surface.  We will drain all the water from the cave. Then we’ll get the 13 people out, ” Osottanakorn said.” Now we plan how to send (a) a nurse and a doctor inside the cave to monitor their health and movement. We will work all night. ”

Thursday, July 5. A Thai diver who worked on the rescue died from lack of oxygen. The man, a member of the 37-year-old elite Seal unit, was placing oxygen tanks in the cave as part of the preparations for the rescue, but he lost consciousness when he tried to return, said Commander Arpakorn Yookongkaew. “We are trained to accept that there may be risks at any time,” said the commander. “It’s part of the job.” By order of King Vajiralongkorn of Thailand, the deceased received a burial with honours.

Friday, July 6. Billionaire Elon Musk announces that he will send aid to Thailand with his own experts in tunnels to participate in the rescue efforts of the group of teenagers and their coach. “Engineers from SpaceX & Boring Co going to Thailand tomorrow to see if we can be of help to the Government, there are probably many complexities that are difficult to appreciate without being in person,” Musk wrote. The rescuers searched desperately for all possible options, from digging tunnels from the mountain to making them wait underground for weeks until the end of the monsoon season. But faced with the threat of new rains and a drop in oxygen levels in the chamber in which the group was sheltering, the authorities decided to start the evacuation.

TimelineThe Cave Boys of Thailand, From the Disappearance to the Rescue

Saturday, July 7. The Prachunakroh Hospital in Chiang Rai begins preparations to receive children trapped in the cave for 16 days. Workers at the clinic, located about 60 kilometres from Tham Luang-Khun Nam Nang Non, began placing large screens to block the view of the entrance. Other photos that circulated on social networks showed 13 stretchers prepared at the entrance. According to the Bangkok Post, the eighth floor was reserved for children while their rescue is being prepared.

Sunday, July 8. Four of the 13 young people trapped in Thailand were taken out of the cave. Rescued children were given tranquillizers before starting the operation, explained one of the divers who participated in the mission. “The boys were under the effect of tranquillizers, to prevent them from panicking,” said Danish diver Ivan Karadzic. “They were not totally stunned, but they did not react normally,” he added.   “We had imagined all kinds of possible catastrophic scenarios: equipment that breaks down, children who fall prey to panic, drown and who have to be revived,” he told the Ritzau news agency. ” We were prepared, but nothing happened, everyone was in their positions and they did exactly what they had to do, ” he added. The boys “seemed somewhat frightened, but they did not panic.” They smiled and said “thank you,” the diver explained. The youth wore diving suits and oxygen masks.

Monday, July 9. Four other teenagers from the group that had been trapped in the cave could be rescued by specialized divers, confirmed the country’s Navy, which increases the hopes of a happy ending after two weeks of uncertainty. More than a dozen experienced divers from different countries participate in the operation. As in Southeast Asia, it is currently a monsoon season, with a lot of rain, the mission is also a race against the clock in the face of the danger that the level of water in the cave will rise again.

Tuesday, July 10. A special operations force of the Thai Navy reported that 12 children and their trainer were rescued from the flooded cave where they were trapped for more than two weeks in the north of the country.



Source: Perfil