Swim Across the Pacific to Clean it of Plastics

Ben Lecomte begins today in Tokyo eight months of crossing that will end in San Francisco. On the way, the health status of the ocean will be analyzed.

ever has a human being achieved a similar challenge. The swimmer Ben Lecomte will swim 9,000 kilometres from today, those that separate the coast of Japan from the United States, to raise awareness about the pollution of the seas. His name will go to the golden pages of sports history with a deed worthy of Greek gods.

The life of Ben Lecomte is linked to swimming. He was the first man to cross the Atlantic with his own arms, back in 1998. This titanic journey lasted 72 days and after it, Lecomte forged a strong alliance with the sea and a great commitment to the environment. Today, 20 years later and with 55 years of age, he wants to conquer the Pacific Ocean, not only for the record but to raise the awareness of the entire globe about the critical situation that the Pacific Ocean is going through.

When Ben Lecomte made it to the American mainland after his expedition across the Atlantic, a legend was born, thousands of people took interest in him and hundreds wanted to imitate him, thus expanding the sports culture of long-distance swimming. But this time he does not seek glory, but he wants to make everyone aware of a problem that can be irreversible.

A titanic journey

The trip is scheduled today. Lecomte and a group of 10 people are going to embark on a journey that aims to study the health of the ocean, demonstrate the negative impact of plastic on the sea and get a man to swim across the Pacific.

A gigantic route that will be completed between 6 or 8 months, with no more help than a neoprene suit, a diving tube, some goggles and some fins. The travel days will be eight hours, divided according to the physical and physical state of Lacomte.

During the nights, you will rest on the vessel “Discoverer”, where the crew will work on study tasks such as calculating the level of cesium in the waters after the tragedy of Fukushima, analyzing the consequences of weightlessness in the human body or checking the Effects of extreme sport on the body of a 51-year-old male.

Another function of the “Discoverer” yacht will be found in the kitchen. Ben’s diet will consist almost entirely of low-calorie and high-protein foods to facilitate his fitness. It will consume 8,000 calories a day, almost 4 times more than the recommended diet for a man his age.

There is another danger when it comes to crossing the entire ocean by swimming, a big danger, with fin and 3,000 teeth. The white shark is one of the largest predators in the world and Ben’s route passes one of the busiest straits most frequented by this animal. To avoid being devoured, you will have a team of shark repellent wristbands. These wristbands generate a small electric field that deters the sharks without causing them damage.

The real reason

Still, sharks are not the swimmer’s biggest fear. The concern that has pushed the team and Lecomte itself to launch such a challenge is three times the size of the Iberian Peninsula and is the largest dump in the world. We speak of the well-known one like “the great stain”, a constant marine current formed by tons of plastic, million fishing nets and rest of ancient tsunamis. This stain, visible from space, is mostly made up of large plastic remains. This happens because the plastic takes between 500 and 1,000 years to degrade.

The data thrown by the expedition on this great spot will be of great value and will refract the current ones. Never before has there been such a large concentration of plastic in the ocean warms Lecomte. “80% of waste in the sea comes from the Earth and only the remaining 20% of the maritime activity itself. In this way we can find plastic waste in all the seas and oceans of the world ».

The consequences of this ocean pollution take their toll on maritime biodiversity with millions of deaths caused by suffocation, malnutrition or strangulation. The plastic microparticles that remain in the organism of these animals can remain along the food chain and reach our plate.

Swim Across the Pacific to Clean it of Plastics

The thousands of tons of garbage we dump are destroying marine biodiversity and international treaties are not giving the desired results. Lacomte may or may not achieve his challenge, but the real achievement will be the data thrown by the study and the good example given to everyone. We must take better care of our oceans and seas before it is too late to react.

 

Source: La Razon