A Teenager Survives 49 Days Adrift in the Sea in a Floating Fish Trap VIDEO

Post sponsored by Backlink SEO tool, the only automatic tool to get better backlinks and not get penalized by Google.


His name is Aldi Novel Adilang, a 19-year-old from Sulawesi, Indonesia. The boy worked on a wooden platform, a floating fish trap, known locally as rompong. Adilang has survived 49 days adrift on the high seas floating to the small platform.

Apparently, this kind of floating cabin was located 125 kilometres offshore. Aldi’s job was to light the lamps of the rompong, designed to attract fish, work that according to his father had made from the sixteen years.

Each week, someone from his company came to pick up the fish from the traps and gave him fresh supplies of food, water and fuel. The small floating wooden hut, one of the 50 owned by the company that stretched across the waters of Manado, was anchored to the seabed by a long rope and suspended by buoys.

However, in mid-July, the strong winds broke the moorings and sent Aldi adrift to the ocean. There, the young man only had a few days of supplies and survived fishing, burning wood from the platform itself to cook them, and drinking sea water through his clothes to minimize his salt intake.

Quite a feat, as explained from the Indonesian consulate in Osaka, who detailed that up to 10 boats had passed by the young man before a Panamanian flag vessel, the MV Arpeggio, finally picked it up in Guam waters on August 31, more than a month and a half later. According to the consulate:

Every time he saw a big boat he told us he had hope, but more than 10 had passed, none of them stopped or saw Aldi.

Interviewed by local news media, Aldi said he believed he ” was going to die there .” At one point, he said he thought about suicide and considered jumping into the ocean, but he remembered his parents’ advice to pray in times of anguish. “I had a Bible on board, so that’s what I did, ” he explained.

After the rescue, the captain contacted the coast guard of Guam, and as the ship was heading to Japan it was decided that the teenager would turn himself into consulate officials upon arrival in Tokuyama on September 6. Aldi flew home in Manado on September 8 in perfect health, according to reports from the country.



Source: Gizmodo / The Guardian