Infant Rescued from Tidal Pool and a Patient Airlifted

Reinard Geldenhuys, NSRI Agulhas station commander, said: At 15h10, Saturday, 11th November, NSRI Agulhas duty crew were activated following reports of an infant drowning in progress at the Agulhas Tidal Pool.

NSRI Agulhas rescue swimmers and medics responded directly to the scene and WC Government Health EMS were activated.

On arrival on the scene we found that members of the public had rescued the 2 year old boy, from Bredasdorp, from the water and they had loaded the child into a vehicle and were driving towards our sea rescue base and performing resuscitation efforts.  At our sea rescue base our NSRI medics continued with breathing resuscitation and spontaneous breathing was restored to the child.

On their arrival the EMS paramedics took over care of the child and the child, accompanied by his parents, was transported to hospital in a stable condition for further treatment and for observation for secondary drowning symptoms and the child is expected to fully recover.

Marius Hayes, NSRI ASR (Airborne Sea Rescue) station commander, said:  At midday, NSRI ASR duty crew, the SA Air Force (SAAF) 22 Squadron and WC Government Health EMS were placed on alert following reports from MRCC (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre) of a 32 year old Filipino crewman suffering a suspected Stroke (CVA – Cerebro Vasular Accident) aboard the 275 meter Crude Oil Tanker SKS SPEY sailing from New Orleans to Singapore and currently 200 nautical miles from the nearest Port, Port of Table Bay.

2 SAAF 22 Squadron Oryx helicopters were prepared and 2 ASR teams, 2 pilot crews, 2 EMS rescue paramedic crews and 2 SAAF 22 Squadron flight engineer crews were briefed on the operation and at 16h00 the 2 SAAF 22 Squadron Oryx helicopters lifted off from Air Force Base Ysterplaat and rendezvoused with the ship 175 nautical miles from Cape Town.

Squadron Flight Engineer

NSRI ASR rescue swimmers and EMS rescue paramedic were hoisted onto the ship by one of the helicopters and the patient, in a stable condition, was hoisted into the helicopter and he has been brought in the care of the EMS rescue paramedic directly to Groote Schuur Hospital where hospital staff have taken over care of the patient.

The operation was completed at 18h30.

Source: Sea Rescue South Africa