BP started gas production from West Nile Delta development in Egypt

West Nile Delta developmentThe British oil and gas giant BP started gas production from two fields of the West Nile Delta development in Egypt. The company received first gas from Taurus and Libra fields eight months ahead of start-up schedule and under budget. The flow exported to the Egypt’s national network was made on March 24 and the commissioning of the two wells, as well as ramp up to stable operations, was completed. BP is the operator of the West Nile Delta project, with equity of 82.75% in the project partnership, partnering with DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG, which holds the remaining 17.25% interest.

“West Nile Delta is a strategic national project that will add significant gas production to the Egyptian market and is another example of BP’s commitment to Egypt. Our continuing investments in the country, including West Nile Delta, Atoll and our recent investment in Zohr, are laying the foundations for growth for BP in Egypt well into the future”, said the CEO of BP, Bob Dudley. “It is also another important step in BP’s growing production from high-quality new projects – in total, the West Nile Delta project will account for around a quarter of the new production we expect by 2020. Coupled with the series of important agreements that BP has recently made around the world, the continuing start-ups of these projects demonstrate momentum and a return to growth across BP”, added he.

The West Nile Delta development includes five gas fields across the North Alexandria and West Mediterranean Deepwater offshore blocks. It was developed as two separate projects to enable BP and its partners to accelerate gas production commitments to Egypt. The project is schedule to be fully onstream in 2019, when the combined production from both projects is expected to reach up to almost 1.5 Bcfd, equivalent to about 30% of Egypt’s current gas production.

The Taurus and Libra project is a subsea greenfield development including nine wells (six in Taurus and three in Libra) and a 42 kilometer tie back to the existing onshore processing facility. All the gas produced will be fed into the Egypt’s national gas grid.

The second West Nile Delta project, involving development of the Giza, Fayoum and Raven fields, is currently ahead of schedule and below budget. The project will involve twelve wells and two deep-water long distance subsea tie-backs to the shore. Fluids will be processed through an onshore plant modified for Giza and Fayoum and integrated with a new adjacent onshore plant for Raven.