Post sponsored by the Laval Jobs site
The White House’s decision to send an aircraft carrier and other military assets to send a message to Iran follows “clear indications” that Iranian forces and Iran’s allies were preparing to perhaps attack US forces in the region, a source said. of defense to The Associated Press.
The Pentagon approved the deployment, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity to comment on sensitive information. The possible targets of an attack were US forces on land and at sea, he said. The source declined to be more specific.
White House national security adviser John Bolton said Sunday night in a statement that the United States would deploy the USS Abraham Lincoln Aircraft Carrier Attack Group and bombers to the United States Central Command region, an area that includes the Orient. Medium.
Bolton said the decision responded to “a series of worrying and growing indications and warnings.” He did not give further details, although he said the United States wants to send a message that any attack on the interests of the United States or its allies will clash with a “relentless force.”
“The United States does not seek war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether through an intermediary, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps or regular Iranian forces,” he said.
The Pentagon did not comment at first on Bolton’s statement.
The Abraham Lincoln, his escort ships and his warships have been operating in the Mediterranean recently. Last Wednesday, a group of senior Albanian government officials visited the aircraft carrier on their arrival in the Adriatic.
Bolton’s reference to the Central Command zone could imply that the Lincoln is heading east of the Red Sea and perhaps to the Arabian Sea or the Persian Gulf. The United States Navy does not now have any aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf.
The fact that Bolton mentioned the mobilization of bombers suggests that the Pentagon will deploy land-based ships somewhere in the region, perhaps in the Arabian Peninsula.
Speaking to the press during a trip to Europe, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the measures taken by the United States had been in preparation for some time.
“It is certainly the case that we have seen escalating actions by the Iranians and it is equally the case that we will demand responsibility from the Iranians for attacks against US interests,” said Pompeo. “If those actions take place, if they do it through a third party, a militia group, Hezbollah, we will consider the Iranian leaders directly responsible for that.”
Source: El Nuevo Herald