The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague decided that China does not have legal rights to claim the historical rights of the so-called “line of nine dotted lines” and to control artificial islands in South China Sea. The decision of the court rejected the claim of China to control vast areas in the South China Sea, which are also claimed by neighboring countries in Southeast Asia. The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague decided that China violates the sovereign rights of the Philippines, to research for natural resources on the continental shelf Reed Bank. Judges also believe that the construction of artificial islands in these areas is detrimental to the environment.
China and ASEAN countries (Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam) are in territorial dispute over the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea. Manila asked the Hague tribunal in 2013 and demanded to consider the question of whether China has the right to a number of islands and their continental shelf of the South China Sea. Philippines say they have tried repeatedly to resolve the dispute through negotiations, but they failed.
The Philippines welcomed the court’s decision, but the Chinese Defense Ministry said earlier on Tuesday that it will not affect China’s sovereignty over these territories.
After the decision of Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, China is ready to work with other countries to protect the security and freedom of maritime navigation in the South China Sea
“China respects and supports the freedom of maritime and air navigation of other countries in the South China Sea on the basis of international law. We are willing to cooperate with other countries and the international community is willing (to them) to protect the security and freedom of international marine navigation”, says the official statement of Chinese Foreign Ministry.
United States urges all parties related to the territorial disputes in the South China Sea, to comply with the decision of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, issued on Tuesday.
“Today’s court decision on the dispute between the Philippines and China is an important contribution to the achievement of a common goal – the peaceful settlement of disputes in the South China Sea”, says the US State Department spokesman. John Kirby. “We ask all the parties to avoid provocative actions and statements”, said he.
Earlier, Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida also stated the need to respect the decision of the court in The Hague. India also called all side to respect the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). In a statement, Minister noted that India supports freedom of navigation, transportation, and trade, based on the principles of international law, in particular UNCLOS.
Each year, through the South China Sea were transported cargoes for 5 trillion USD, and presumably there are large reserves of offshore oil and gas, which are the main goal for all the parties in the dispute.